NEW YORK STATE PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR REGIONAL & CHAMPIONSHIP COMPETITIONS
*An athlete will not be allowed to participate without this form completed.*
CODE OF CONDUCT
Responsibilities and guidelines for Athletes and Coaches participating in
Regional and Championship Contests.
Any New York State Championship must achieve a standard of Excellence which
places it beyond criticism either from an organizational or educational point of
view. In essence, each championship represents all of New York scholastic
sports and if, for any reason, something disrupts a championship, then the impact
of such disruption will be felt by the NYSPHSAA, Inc. and its member schools. What appears at
present to pose the greatest threat is the misbehavior of athletes or the lack
of supervision responsibilities by coaches while
attending such championships.
Code of Conduct for Athletes
1. Use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco products and other drugs (unless prescribed by a
physician) will not be tolerated.
2. All curfews and bed checks will be adhered to as set up the the
supervisor or coach in charge.
3. Athletes are responsible for their conduct in regard to public property
such as hotel rooms, transporting vehicles, field and courts, locker rooms,
etc. Athletes or the school that they represent will be held financially
responsible for any damage that they incur.
4. Hotel rooms will be inspected by the
supervisor and the occupants of each room prior to the occupying of each room
and again before check-out. Any damage incurred will be the responsibility
of the occupants.
5. Athletes must use transportation authorized by their section and school
to and from the event.
6. There will be no gambling of any kind.
1. Athletes should stay in groups when traveling or sightseeing. DO
NOT TRAVEL ALONE or leave the group.
2. Athletes should make sure the supervisor/coach knows where they are, who is
with them, and when they will return when leaving the general area of the
3. Dress for all trips should be neat, clean and socially acceptable.
Athletes are representing their Section as well as their own school
district. All actions reflect on these institutions.
Violations - Penalties
If an athlete violates an established rule, the coach or supervisor in charge has
the responsibility of disciplining the athlete using the following guidelines:
1. If the violation is prior to the contest or event, the athlete will not
be allowed to compete in the contest or further contests. The Section and
home school will be notified and a recommendation from the Section for
disciplinary action will be given.
2. If the violation is after the contest or event, the home school will be
notified and a recommendation from the Section for disciplinary action will be
3. If a situation becomes intolerable, the parents and school will be
notified immediately and arrangements will be made to transport the athlete
home, at Section/school expense, and in the custody of a Section/school
representative. If proper action is not taken by the home school,
sanctions may be imposed by the Section and/or State Association against the
athlete or school district.
I have read and understand the above code of conduct.
Date _______________________ Date
1. Enforce Code of Conduct for athletes. Discipline violators on the
spot. Report problems to supervisors and send written reports to Section
and home school district.
2. Set curfews and bed checks and implement them.
3. Be responsible for athletes from departure point of trip
until trip is completed and you are sure all athletes have transportation to
4. Conduct room checks and inspection of hotel room with occupants of each room
prior to the night's stay, and check/inspect each hotel room after the night's
stay. Report any damage, which will be the responsibility of the occupants of
5. Submit Hotel Report form to hotel.
6. Make sure all parent signature slips are in and emergency information
7. Notify proper authorities in cases of serious injury to athletes.
8. Know where athletes are at all times.
9. Abstain from the use of alcohol and controlled substances (unless
prescribed by a physician). If violated the protocol/possible penalty is: 1) the
school and Section will be notified; 2) documentation of the incident will
occur; and 3) a recommendation from the Section for disciplinary action will be
10. Abstain from gambling of any kind.
I understand my responsibilities to my athlete(s)
OPTIONAL CONSENT FOR USE OF PHOTOGRAPHY FOR PUBLICITY OR ADVERTISING
I do hereby consent to the use of my photographs in association with any
production, media, or news events for the New York State Public High School
I understand that the New York Stat Public High School Athletic Association may
use my photographs or stories in publications, press materials, websites, and
print and television advertisements promoting the New York State Public High
School Athletic Association, its philosophies, and programs.
I hereby irrevocably consent to and authorize the use and reproduction by you,
or anyone authorized by the New York State Public High School Athletic
Association, of any and all photographs which you have taken during this sport
season of me, negative or positive, for any purpose whatsoever, without
compensation to me. All negatives and positives, together with prints
shall constitute the property of the NYSPHSAA, solely and completely.
I herby consent to the use of my photgraph(s). (sign only if 'yes')
PARENT RELEASE FORM - EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE
Your son/daughter has qualified to participate in a NYSPHSAA Championship.
In order to ensure he/she receives the proper medical care as needed you must
provide the health information below. By signing this form you are
authorizing the school's coach or administrator, or tournament official to act
on your behalf in authorizing emergency medical, dental, surgical care and
hospitalization for your son/daughter in your absence.
Thank you for your cooperation.
(Home & Business Phone)
(Who to contact in case of emergency, other than parent/guardian)
(Allergies or special conditions)
I have read and understand the above parent release form. I do hereby
authorize the care referenced above for my child; and I do further release the .
NYSPHSAA and its agents from any claim whatsoever on account of care authorized
pursuant to this emergency medical care form.